Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Plankton Observations

*Plankton Observations*

 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
The worm above can be classified as micro. I'm not positive if this worm is my group's worm, but we had one similar to this one. We named him Pizza Hut, but ,unfortunately, Mrs. Richardson lost him. :( I know that he is a zooplankton, but if I had to guess, I would say he is a holoplankton. Meaning that he will stay a plankton his whole life. 

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
The same goes for the worm above, he is a zoo plankton and will most likely stay one his whole life. You can see on his left shoulder that he has little hairs. I'm pretty certain those hairs are there to push him, or propel, him through the water. Maybe they are his flagella.

 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
This little guy, I think, is a bacteria or protoza. He is most likely a holoplankton and will stay in the plankton stage for all his life. Here, I'm pretty sure he was having a little snack on the background object! :) I believe he is the size of a Nano.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
The objects above are forams, meaning they are holoplankton, or they were! This is there remains, their skeletons. They now make up the sand at Star Beach in Japan. They are probably considered Macro, in size.

No comments:

Post a Comment